Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Creative Writing

It isn't very often that I get to write creatively as a graduate student.

For that matter, I never really wrote creatively as an undergraduate. In the world of academia, informative writing is the bulk of what we do. We research, cite our sources, research some more, and then for a change of pace, we do a little research.

Dr. Baines lets us do things a bit differently, though. During our last class, he had us partake in several multisensory minilessons before finally assembling a poem of our very own. (I can't remember the last time I had written a poem...maybe high school?) The subject was Love, and we began with a discussion of the many cliche expressions surrounding love. Our goal was to create something original, moving beyond the typical images, and we engaged many senses to do so.

Eventually I'll describe the lesson itself in some detail, but for now I'm going to leave you hanging. :) This weekend I will have much more time to blog about how we created the poems. Until then, I leave you with an audio recording of me reading the poem. I titled it "A Fresh Start on Love". Picture a woman watching a beautiful sunset on the rocky coast of Maine, deciding to start anew...

*After several minutes of tinkering with the Mac* Well, there was going to be an audio recording. It's not posting here on Blogger, so I will ask my tech savvy friends tomorrow how I go about this. Thanks for bearing with me! :)

***
A few classes later, and after talking to my classmates, I decided to make this easier. Here is the video, courtesy of my friend, Jamie, and her iPhone! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment